- Shri V P Menon arrived and stayed in Lal Kothi. He was advisor to the Indian government on proposed merger of princely states with Indian Union,
- Finally, after a princely rule of 250 years, Bhopal was merged with the Union of India on 1st June 1949.
- Nawab Hamidullah was the ruler of Bhopal at the time.
- Bhopal became a Centrally Administered State under "Part C" for a period of 5 years.
- Bhopal State included the present-day districts of Bhopal, Raisen, and Sehore.
- Tri-colour of independent India was unfurled at the Lal Kothi for the first time on 1st June 1949.
|26th Jan ceremony by last Commissioner|
- The government of India appointed an administrative head for Bhopal, called the Chief Commissioner
- Lal Kothi was chosen as the official residence of the Chief Commissioner and was renamed Commissioner House.
The salient features of this period are as follows :-
- Elections for Legislative Assembly and Parliament were held for the first time in Bhopal State in 1952.
- Congress won the elections, and a 30-member State Assembly was sworn in.
- The composition of the Assembly was as follows :-
- 28 - Congress
- 01 - Hindu Mahasabha
- 01 - Independent
- Shri Shankar Dayal Sharma was sworn in as the first Chief Minister of the 1st democratic Government of Bhopal on 20th March, 1952 at Commissioner House.
- Shri Shankar Dayal Sharma was the youngest Chief Minister at that time in India.
- On 20th April 1952, the then State Minister at the Centre Shri Gopal Swami Aiyangar inaugurated the State Assembly.
- The Hamidia Library served as the Vidhan Sabha in the Commissioner's period at Bhopal. Today, it is the office of the Lokayukta.
|Hamidia Library - First Vidhan Sabha of Bhopal|
- Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru paid 11 visits to Bhopal.
- He was so enamoured of Bhopal that he planned to make it the 2nd capital of India.
- The ruler of Bhopal never interfered in the government's functioning.
- The ruler of Bhopal donated land for the construction of the T.B. hospital at Idgah Hills.
- Maharani Laxmi Bai college for girls was started in 1952. The building in which it was started was originally the office of the conservator of forests.
- Maulana Azad College of Technology was set up in 1953. Initially, the classes were held at the present-day Polytechnic building. Now the MACT has been upgraded to a National Institute of Technology. Very shortly, it will be granted the status of an Indian Institute of Technology.
- Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel Polytechnic was started in 1955.
- Gandhi Medical College came up in Dec 1955. To begin with, classes were conducted at the Polytechnic.
- The PGBT college was established in 1956.
- The British currency continued, alongwith the Indian currency.
Commissioners of Bhopal and their tenures
The Chief Commissioners and their tenures are given below :-
|Shri N. B. Bonerji||ICS||01st June 1949 up to 30th Apr 1950|
|Shri Vishwanathan||ICS||1st May 1950 up to 03rd Mar 1952|
|Shri P. K. Bhargava||ICS||04th Mar 1952 up to 19th Dec 1954|
|Shri Bhagwan Sahai||ICS||20th Dec 1954 up to 01st Dec 1956|
Other Senior Officials During Commissioners Period
|Shri Dasgupta||Chief Secretary|
|Shri Sathe||Revenue Commissioner|
|Shri Shyam Singh||I.G.P.|