Bhopal : Post-Independence Scenario
When India gained independence from the British, Nawab Hamidullah Khan was the ruler of Bhopal. The following events of this period are noteworthy :-
- In May 1948, an interim government was formed by the Nawab
- The government was called as Praja Mandal
- The Praja Mandal was headed by Pt. Chatur Narain Malviya as Prime Minister
- It was sworn in at Qaser-e-Sultani Mahal by the Chief Justice of the princely state of Bhopal, Justice Salamuddin Khan
- Gradually, the merger movement (for Merger of Bhopal with the Indian Union) gained ground.
- The merger movement was actively supported by the Praja Mandal
- For this reason, the Praja Mandal was dissolved on 29th January 1949 by the Nawab of Bhopal.