Former Governors of Madhya Pradesh
|Sh. C. M. Punacha|
Tenure : 17.08.1978 to 29.04.1980
Shri Cheppudira Muthana Punacha
Blossomed - 16 Jun 1910 (Village Ugoor, South Koorg)
Wilted On - 3 Aug 1990
Education completed from Marcara Virajpet, Koorg and St. Aloysius College, Mangalore
- Left studies to join freedom movement in 1930
- Jailed in 1932 and 1933
- Jailed in 1940-41 for participation in Satyagrah
- Member All-India Congress Committee in 1938
- Member of Constituent Assembly in 1947-51
- Member of interim Parliament
- Chief Minister of Koorg from 1952-56
- Industries and Commerce Minister in newly-created Mysore State in 1956
- Later on became the Industries and Home Affairs Minister
- Head of state trading council delegation to Japan in 1961
- Railway Minister from 1967-69
- Though he had a short stay, he left a deep impression.
- He had the old-world halo around him.
- Very particular about the way the first citizen of the State should behave.
- Important role in improving state of exams in universities of the state.
- Deep interest in child welfare schemes.
- Imposed President's rule in 1980.
- Transferred a few months later to Orissa.
- Traveled to Japan, Czechoslovakia, Romania, Hungary, and Yugoslavia