• +91 (755) 285 8830
  • mprajbhavan[@]mp.gov.in



The erstwhile State of Bhopal and the Britishers signed an agreement under which the Britishers had appointed a Political Agent at Bhopal. This administrative decision was taken during the rule of Nawab Major Mohammad Khan (1816-1819). As per the agreement, a British armed force was also stationed at Sehore Cantt. Upto 1880, the area where the Raj Bhawan stands at present was a military cantonment area. No private construction was allowed in the area.

In 1880, the present Raj Bhawan was constructed by Nawab Shahjahan Begum of Bhopal, as a place of stay for the British officers. It was initially named Lal Kothi. Thus, 1880 onwards, Lal Kothi became the official residence of the British Political Agents posted at Bhopal.

lal kothi in olden days
Lal Kothi in Olden Days

Name based on Appearance

The Raj Bhawan's original name Lal Kothi was very much apt to the situation, for the following reasons :-

For these reasons, it came to be called as Lal Kothi in common parlance, and the name stuck with it for many years - up to the time India became independent.


Some of the facts related to the construction of the Lal Kothi are as follows :-

Construction Sidelights


Post Independence ScenarioNext . . . Post Independence