A new initiative has been taken by the Government of Kerala of introducing their own internet connection called Kerala Fibre Optical Network Scheme (KFON). This is the 1st time in India, that a state launched their own broadband. This network infrastructure across the state will cost Rs. 15,00 crore. The CM of Kerala Pinarayi Vijayan has started his own broadband KFON to improve internet accessibility for the people of the state. It should ensure that people or government officials will get high-speed broadband internet service without any inconvenience. Each and every individual will be able to use internet service at a very reasonable price and Kerala will become a more knowledgeable state outside of the country. Kerala KFON Scheme 2023 scheme was started on Monday 5th of June 2023 by the CM of Kerala.
Kerala KFON Scheme 2023
The Kerala Fibre Optical Network (KFON) is an internet broadband which aims to provide internet services to all the households and government offices in Kerala. Basically, KFON is an alternative model to the corporate-run telecom sector. The initiative aims to overcome the digital gap by “liberating people from the exploitation of private sector cable networks and mobile service providers.” Kerala KFON Scheme has 30,000km of optical fibre cable network with 375 points of presence throughout the state. At the moment KFON services are accessible to the Government offices but the common citizens need to depend on commercial, regional internet service providers. As said by the government of Kerala the KFON will be given by local ISP/TSP/cable TV providers.
Also Check: Citizen Service Portal Kerala
Key Highlights of Kerala KFON Scheme
|Launched By||CM of Kerala Pinarayi Vijayan|
|Name of Scheme||Kerala KFON Scheme 2023|
|Objective||To provide high-speed internet service to the people and government officials|
|Benefits||High-speed internet service|
|Eligibility Criteria||Residents of Kerala|
|Free service||Economically weaker people|
|Official Website||Kerala KFON|
Objective of Kerala KFON Scheme
KFON was introduced with the motive of providing high-speed internet service to the people and government officials. The infrastructure created by this project will complement the state’s current telecom ecosystem. KFON is built on the principles of non-discriminatory treatment, which forbids giving any service provider or market sector preferential treatment. By building a strong core and middle-mile infrastructure, it effectively functions as an information superhighway. Any provider at any level of the business segment, including TSPs, ISPs, MSOs, and LCOs, can use this network to fill in connectivity gaps at their core networks without having to worry about meeting onerous RoW and expensive CAPEX criteria.
Benefits and Features of Kerala KFON Scheme
- This KFON scheme was started on Monday 5th of June 2023 by the CM of Kerala Pinarayi Vijayan.
- This network infrastructure across the state will cost Rs. 15,00 crore.
- Kerala Fibre Optical Network (KFON) is an internet broadband which aims to provide internet services to all households and government offices in Kerala.
- Basically, KFON is an alternative model to the corporate-run telecom sector.
- This KFON has 30,000km of optical fibre cable network with 375 points of presence throughout the state.
- At a cost of 1,500 crore, a 35,000 km optical fibre network would be built throughout the state. The Kerala Infrastructure Investment Fund Board (KIIFB) provided the funding.
- The main goal is to give more than 20 lakh individuals free access to the internet. This programme covers over 14,000 Keralan households. Eventually, 100 BPL households will be selected for this programme in each of the state’s 140 Assembly districts.
Cable charges under Kerala KFON Scheme
- The government aims to provide high-quality internet service to all the residents at a very affordable price. The most affordable package has a charge of Rs. 299 (excluding GST) with a 20 Mbps speed. A 3,000 GB monthly free download cap is also included.
- The top package offered by K-FON costs Rs.1,249 (without GST) and offers 250 Mbps of speed. The plan has a monthly free download cap of 5,000 GB.
Also Read: Kerala Vidya Kiranam Scheme
Registration Process for Kerala KFON Scheme
- Applicants first need to visit the Kerala KFON website of the KFON Portal.
- The homepage will appear on your screen, where you have to click on the Registration button.
- Now a new page will open on your screen, here select any one option according to your preference from the following:
- Retail Enquiry
- Corporate (B2B)
- Now choose any one of the options from above and the registration page will be on your screen.
- On the registration page enter your Name, Mobile Number, Email id, Address, Pin code, etc.
- After filling in all these details you have to click on the submit button to complete the process.
- Kerala State Information Technology Infrastructure Ltd.,
- 1st Floor, Sankethika, PF Road, Vrindavan Gardens,
- Pattom P O, Thiruvananthapuram- 695004
- [email protected] | 0471- 2969640, 4068006
Kerala KFON Scheme 2023 FAQs
Under this KFON Scheme 30,000 government offices in Kerala will be included
At the moment KFON capable service is provided to only government offices. Common people need to depend on local ISPs.
KFON will offer free access to economically underprivileged homes through a chosen service provider in your area