Assam Janani Suraksha Yojana is an initiative under the National Rural Health Mission (NRHM). The scheme is created in order to provide opportunities to people who are currently pregnant but they do not have resources so that they can give birth to their baby without having to sacrifice the health of the baby. The scheme is created in order to reduce the mortality rate of maternal and neonatal pregnancy. People who belong to the economically backward section of society will be liable to get the benefit of the scheme in the Assam state without having to worry about the financial expenses that they have to undertake.
Janani Suraksha Yojana Assam will initiate proper opportunities related to cash assistance that is required during delivery and after the delivery for the people who are pregnant in Assam state. Pregnant women will be provided the opportunities so that they can overcome the cost of childbirth and institutional deliveries will be improved for the people belonging to the economically backward section of society.
Maternal Healthcare in Assam
Maternal healthcare in Assam is a notable concern. People who belong to rural areas or not able to consider safe pregnancy because of the decrease in the number of Hospitals available in rural areas. The people are provided with the option so they can give birth at home because it is very cheap compared to giving birth at a particular hospital. The scheme will improve the Maternity Healthcare rate that is available in Assam state because right now the position of the people is very concerning because of the decrease in the number of Hospitals and the decrease in the number of people who survive after childbirth.
- The state government will be implementing different types of schemes in order to reduce the mortality rate by promoting Hospital childbirth in Assam state.
- Financial assistance will be provided so that the mothers are able to get good nutrients during the time of childbirth and after childbirth.
Also Check: Assam Employee Health Assurance
Objective of Janani Suraksha Yojana Assam
The objective of Janani Suraksha Yojana (JSY) in Assam is to promote institutional deliveries. Women who belong to the economically backward section of society are not able to give birth in a good hospital and that creates a very big impact on the mortality rate. Children who are coming from poor Healthcare will be opened to a lot of new diseases which will definitely attack their immune systems. The objective of this scheme is to help people so that they can give birth in the very same environment and are provided opportunities so that they can take care of their children even after childbirth. The main aim of the development of this scheme is to provide opportunities to the women in the Assam state so that they can have a happy and healthy pregnancies.
Benefits of Janani Suraksha Yojana Assam
The following benefits will be provided to the people who will be applying for this prestigious scheme:
- All mothers from Rural Area irrespective of age, birth order, or income group (BPL & APL) will get a cash assistance of Rs. 1400/- if delivered at Public Health Facility or Accredited Private Hospital.
- All mothers from Urban Area irrespective of age, birth order, or income group (BPL & APL) will get a cash assistance of Rs. 1000/- if delivered at Public Health Facility or Accredited Private Hospital.
- Rs. 500/- is provided for Home Delivery only for BPL category
Also Check: e District Assam
Cash Assistance for Institutional Delivery (in Rs)
The cash entitlement for different categories of mothers is as follows:
|(Amount in Rs.)
Importance of Institutional Delivery
Institutional delivery is an important aspect of maternal and child healthcare. It refers to giving birth in a healthcare facility such as a hospital or a clinic, where skilled healthcare professionals can provide medical assistance to the mother and newborn. Institutional delivery ensures that the mother and the baby receive necessary medical care, including monitoring of vital signs, access to emergency obstetric care in case of complications, and provision of essential newborn care. This reduces the risk of maternal and neonatal mortality and morbidity, which are high in cases of home deliveries or deliveries conducted by unskilled birth attendants. In addition, institutional delivery promotes healthy behaviors and practices such as early initiation of breastfeeding, immunization, and postnatal care, which are crucial for the health and well-being of the mother and newborn.
The applicant must follow the following eligibility criteria in order to successfully apply for this prestigious scheme:
- The applicant must be a permanent resident of the Assam state
- The applicant must be a pregnant woman.
- The applicant must be above the age of 19 years.
- The scheme will be available of up to two live births
Role of healthcare providers in the scheme
Healthcare providers play a crucial role in the implementation of Assam Janani Suraksha Yojana (JSY) as they are responsible for providing quality maternal healthcare services to pregnant women. They are also responsible for identifying eligible women and ensuring that they receive cash assistance for institutional deliveries. Under the scheme, healthcare providers are required to register pregnant women for antenatal care and provide them with regular check-ups and counseling on the importance of institutional delivery. They also have to ensure that pregnant women are referred to the nearest government health facility for delivery, where they will receive cash assistance under the JSY scheme.
How to Avail Assam Janani Suraksha Yojana?
- The ASHA is responsible for identifying and registering expectant mothers in her area of operation.
- She is required to organize delivery care services for these registered women and ensure that they receive adequate antenatal and postnatal care.
- The ASHA is also responsible for ensuring that the pregnant women refers to the nearest health facility for delivery.
- The ASHA is responsible for assisting in the immunization of the newborn baby. She is required to ensure that the newborn baby is taken for immunization at the appropriate time.
- The ASHA is responsible for promoting family planning services in her area of operation. She is required to create awareness about the importance of family planning and motivate couples to adopt family planning measures.
The required documents and information for enrollment in Janani Suraksha Yojana Assam are as follows:
- Identity proof
- Address proof
- Pregnancy-related documents
- Bank account details
- Mobile number
- BPL card
- Other details: Other relevant details such as the age of the mother, the expected date of delivery, and the name of the healthcare provider or hospital where the delivery is planned to take place.
Process for Claiming Benefits under the Assam Janani Suraksha Yojana 2024
The applicant will have to go through the following procedure in order to successfully claim their benefits inside the scheme:
- The National Rural Health Mission (NRHM) operates the Janani Suraksha Yojana (JSY) scheme.
- During the first year of operation, the first installment of funds for JSY will be released on an ad-hoc basis.
- The second installment will only be released to States/UTs that have submitted the pending Utilization Certificates (UCs) and Audited Accounts for the funds released under NMBS up to the year 2004-05, indicating that 60% of the funds have been utilized.
- In the subsequent years, the first installment will be released to the States/UTs that received the second installment of the grant in the previous year or fulfilled the conditions set out in para 20.2 (b)(i) and b(ii).
- The second installment will be released only when the following conditions are met:
- 60% of the total available funds have been utilized at the time of applying for the second installment.
- UC/AR for grant released during the previous year(s) and un-audited Statement of expenditure in the current financial year have been submitted.
- Dr. Neha Garg
- Director (NHM-II)
- Ministry of Health & Family Welfare,
- Room No. 210-D,Nirman Bhawan,
- New Delhi – 110011
- Tel: 011-23061360
- Email Id : [email protected]
Assam Janani Suraksha Yojana 2024 FAQs
The objective of the Assam Janani Suraksha Yojana is to promote institutional delivery among pregnant women, especially those belonging to poor families, to reduce maternal and infant mortality rates.
Pregnant women who belong to BPL families or SC/ST communities and deliver in government or accredited private health facilities are eligible to avail the benefits of the scheme.
The scheme provides cash incentives to pregnant women who deliver in government or accredited private health facilities, along with free transportation to and from the health facility, free medicines, and free diagnostic services.
Under the scheme, a cash incentive of Rs. 2,500 is provided to pregnant women who deliver in government health facilities, and Rs. 1,000 is provided to those who deliver in accredited private health facilities.
To enroll in the scheme, you need to provide your Aadhaar number, BPL card, or caste certificate to the health facility where you will deliver your baby. The health facility will then register you for the scheme and provide you with the necessary information and assistance.